Start a new topic

Renaming any tab

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I notice that we can now rename any SQL Commander tab - this is a very welcome feature. As all objects now open in tabs though, the tab bar tends to fill up quickly and we can't currently rename those tabs to fit more on the screen. Would it be possible to allow us to rename *any* tab so we can assign short names to object tabs? The full object name always shows just beneath the tab bar when you select a tab anyway so there should be no risk of confusion.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Renaming any tab
Vince, In Tool Properties->Appearance->Tabs it is possible to specify a default naming scheme for Object View, SQL Commander and Result Set tabs. Since Object Views are the only tabs that are currently not renamable, would the variables available be sufficient to set the name you are looking for (you can edit and mix the names how you like and put static text in there as well)? If not, are there any pre-defined data you would like to use in the tab name or are you only looking to set tab specific custom names? Regards Roger Ps. If you haven't already found out, tabs can now be colored and put in a border as defined for the associated database connection. This is done in Connection Properties.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, I suppose I could shorten the tab width a little by renaming my connections to be shorter but even then we tend to use some quite long table and view names so I'd only fit 3 table names on the screen before needing to scroll. When I'm working on them, it would be handy to be able to just rename a tab to "live transactions", etc instead of needing the full live connection name followed by the full object name. Renaming any tab is is very much a "would be nice" enhancement rather than a bug though. I should probably have posted to the more relevant forum.

Hi Vince, We will add support to rename object view tabs in next beta. Regards Roger

Vince, Just to inform you that this is now fixed in the latest beta. http://www.dbvis.com/eap/ Regards Roger

Hi Vince, Just wanted to tell you that this is now also fixed in the just released 9.0 version: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/relnotes/?version=9.0 Best Regards, Hans