Start a new topic

Current object view

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I think the new approach to tabs and windows is a step in the right direction. And it is great that the edit windows reappear when you restart dbvis! It does, however, take a bit longer when you want to first locate the information you are interested in. You may have to open and close a few tabs before finding what you are really after. One way to deal with this would be to have a "Currently selected object window". When you click on a node this window would show the current object. Then I could double click or select open if I want to keep the window easily accessible. Maybe there are other better solutions than this that you can come up with - but I thought I would mention it anyway! Regards Bengt

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Current object view
Hi all, Thanks all of you for your response on this topic. The old behavior in DbVisualizer with the very tight connection between click of a single object in the DB object tree and the load of that object in the single object view tab has been around for many years. While that visual layout in which a navigation pane to the left and a details pane to the right mimics thousands of applications, it is probably the only similarity due to the way these two panes are connected. When we first looked into all requests on supporting multi object operations, multiple object view tabs and many other related suggestions we realized that we must abandon the current single object/single object view tab behavior, yet having in mind thousands of users being used to how it works. The initial releases of the 9.0beta had a variant of supporting the old behavior with some new actions to open new object view tabs. Single-click in the objects tree would open the object in the next available object view tab but only if an object view tab was already active. If an SQL Commander tab was active, alt-click in the objects tree would switch to the next available object view tab and load the selected object. The problem with this was that different commands produced the same result based on what was current at the time of click and keyboard combination. The current object view tab was often accidentally loaded with an object being clicked and we got requests of keeping a history of loaded objects in a specific object view tab with controls to move back and forth in the history. That type of request made us realize the strategy was not right. We then abandoned the light-weight connection between the DB objects tree and the object view tab, requiring the user to specifically requests load of the selected object by double-click. That is a much more natural and probably the most common way of interacting with files/objects and their respective details. While the latest beta is a step forward making DbVisualizer work and behave like many other tools we understand that the old behavior will be missed by many. Here is what we now propose to solve this: 1) There will be a new right-click choice in object view tabs: "Set as Target tab". This will be the single tab receiving DB objects as a result of double-click, pressing the enter key or running "Open in Tab" while having a single object selection in in the objects tree 2) The Open in Tab/Open in New Tab DB objects tree right-click operations will work as in previous beta versions whereas multiple objects can be opened at once and each will appear in its own tab (if not already visible) The difference compared to previous versions will then be that the user must mark the target tab and a single click is replaced with a double-click or stroke of the enter key. What do you think? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

+10 While I really appreciate the ability to edit multiple procedures at one time, I really miss the ability to quickly browse through the object tree and have the results shown in the same tab. Dragging the object to the tab technically works, but is not very efficient when you consider the required mouse movement when browsing a large number of objects. I would actually prefer something like the previous behavior and have objects shown in a single read-only "browse" tab. To edit an object shown in the browse tab, an additional step would be needed to open the object for editing in a new tab. Of course, it should also be possible to open an object for editing directly through some short cut key sequence or menu action on the object tree. Regards, David
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'm agree with Bengt Gunne. The best thing is to combine both approaches - object tabs from version 8 and version 9 at the same time. It could be a setting of tab - maybe 'fixed' or something like that. 'Fixed' tab shows source code of procedure/function (and so on) from object tree, which cursor is positioned on (like it was in ver.8). Thank you.

I think there is one more thing to consider. When a new user starts to use dbvis it will take much longer until he/she finds the wealth of information hidden behind all the different objects in the tree. With a selected object window this would be apparent much earlier! With an ALT key that would not happen since a novice would not know about it.

I'd prefer to see the current behaviour retained but allow a modifier key (such as Alt-click) to open the clicked object in the most recently selected object tab.