Start a new topic

Memory leak in 90.1866 (OS X) ?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Sometimes after running many queries across 6-8 tabs, if I don't watch the memory graph, I get a warning dialog suggesting that I close some tabs to free memory. However, all of that tabs listed are shown as using less than 1% memory _in total_. Closing tabs and this dialog result in it being redisplayed almost immediately. It becomes a challenge to close the dialog and exit DbVis to restart before the dialog reappears. Is it possible to add the garbage collection function when this dialog presents, or some other mechanism to restart the app in an orderly fashion? Perhaps an option to save files and restart from the dialog itself?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Memory leak in 90.1866 (OS X) ?
Hi Matt, Just so you don't think we've forgotten about this, I want to let you know that I have made some progress on this. Your observation about memory usage increasing even though there's no activity is correct. The background process for auto-saving uses a bit of working memory every time it runs (every 10 seconds). In my case it, the memory monitor shows a 1 MB increase every 30 seconds or so, but it depends on the number of tabs, if any SQL Commander tab has been edited, etc. Even though it looks odd, it is harmless since this memory is released when memory is needed for something else, or when you do an explicit GC. The fact that stopping tasks and closing tabs from the Memory Monitor window does not always release memory is something I have been able to reproduce. I believe I have solved it now, but I need to do more testing and analysis to be sure. I also see that something is not quite right when executing a query over and over, replacing the result set from the previous run with a new. I will look into this in more detail next week. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks - and I did not suspect the issue was forgotten ;) Do any of your tests relate to the use a particular theme? I had switched from Synthetica to Mac, but it does not appear to have had any positiv or negative effect.

Hi Matt, What I've seen so far is look and feel independent. Best Regards, Hans

Matt, 9.0.1 has just been released with various enhancements in the memory area. Please give it a try and let us know if you find related issues. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I have upgraded to v9.0.1 and 9.0.2, and while I am not exercising the app as hard this week, memory consumption does seem better. If I encounter any more issues, I will create a new thread in the support forum (non-beta). Related, any plans to simplify that memory warning dialog, to remove the extra popup when I select continue. A two level error dialog makes the process of resolving the error difficult.

Hi Matt, Good to hear it works better now. We are still looking for memory leaks when executing SQL in the SQL Commander, but hopefully the problems with the Memory Monitor are solved. Regarding the second popup, it is only shown if you click Continue without first clearing enough memory to continue, i.e. when the button still has the warning icon. Clicking Continue in this state will most likely just display the dialog again, hence the warning. If you clear enough memory, the icon turns into a green OK icon and there is no second popup. Best Regards, Hans

That second popup is what prevents an easy clean shutdown from being initiated (ex. Cmd + Q on Mac), as it is modal, and must be dismissed prior to any other options. Since in the cases I have been dealing with, an orderly shutdown is the best solution, it becomes a bit of a timing game to acknowledge 2 popups, and shutdown, before the memory monitor fires another popup. Its the only _very_ annoying thing I have faced with using DbVis. I strongly suggest eliminating the second popup, since the first contains the necessary details - and also since DbVis is a professional's tool, and we already know the effect of bypassing a warning message.

Hi Matt, In understand your concerns, but the idea is that you should never have to shutdown DbVisualizer to clear up memory problems. Anyway, we can add a "Don't show this again" checkbox to the second popup so that it can be disabled. Thanks for your feedback. Best Regards, Hans

Continued in main forum: http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=4307

Hi, There is now a "Don't show this message again" box in the memory monitor in the just released 9.0.3. http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger

+1 !