Start a new topic

Memory issues (again)

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Ref: http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=4307 v91.2030 on Mac OSX 10.8, I again get the High Memory Usage Detected dialog, which insists on repeating ad-nauseum and preventing me from an orderly shutdown. This is the same issue I have seen on 9.0, and continuing in the 9.1 beta. Currently it is telling me that 465M of 505M is used, and all tabs listed to close are

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Memory issues (again)
Hi Matt, I'm sorry we have not been able to solve the issue with memory leaks when OSX assistive devices option is enabled. As a work-around, we will add a Shutdown button in the dialog as you suggested. The core memory leak issue is deep down in the Mac OS X Java integration code. This integration is done differently with Java 7, so it is possible that Java 7 solves the issue. We will support Java 7 with DbVisualizer 9.1, so I appreciate if you can test the Beta version with the Java 7 Mac OS X distribution and see if you still see this problem. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I have the Java 6 and 7 versions installed now, with a fresh update of Java 7. I am seeing some issues with the Java 7 beta on Mac that I have not fully documented a reproduction case for yet, but may be worth mentioning. The Java 7 beta seems to run some action twice and concurrently. For example, when connecting to a remote data source (PostgreSQL) over SSH, in response to executing an SQL query on an unconnected server, I am prompted for the SSH password twice. Then the progress time counter appears to count two separate executions, a few seconds apart: 00:00:04 00:00:01 00:00:05 00:00:02 00:00:06 and so forth. It appears two queries are executing on the same DbVis tab. I will try to verify this is the case on the server side. This does not happen with the Java 6 beta. Could it be an issue with JDK 7 ?
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

It appears there is only one DB connection to the remote PostgreSQL server, but I do repeatedly get two query executions, with two result sets. A better explanation of the process: - SQL Commander tab with an unconnected server selected - SSH connection or direct - Highlight SQL query and execute with Cmd+Enter - Get two password prompts in the case of an SSH connection - Watch query execution timer show two different times, with a difference in the number of seconds between the first and second password entries - DB server shows only one client connection - Get two result tabs, with the same rows This does not always happen with executing the query with the toolbar run button, but is easily reproducable with the keyboard execution command. This does *not* happen with a beta running Java 1.6.0_51. Product: DbVisualizer Pro 91.2030 Build: #2030 (2013/07/04 10:13) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Version: 1.7.0_40-ea Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Mac OS X OS Arch: x86_64 OS Version: 10.8.4

Matt, Thanks for the detailed reports. This is a known issue on OS X with Java 7 using key binding that implicitly establish a connection. We will look into a workaround. Also, please separate topics in matching or new threads as that will ease tracking posts. Regards Roger

Matt, The multiple executions in the SQL Commander is now fixed in the just released 91.2044 beta version. Regards Roger