Start a new topic

dbvis hangs after network trouble

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, there is a little problem when using dbvis from a mac and when a network disconnect occurs. In this case a VPN session was unexpectedly terminated by the server. When trying to quit dbvis it just hangs. could this be fixed? Ronald.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: dbvis hangs after network trouble
Yes I am seeing a similar but more extensive problem on my MacBook with 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 using DbVisualizer v6.5.1 I am seeing the app frequently get stuck trying to access the DB during statement execution or when clicking on the data tab to view the data in a table. It says executing and stays in that state indefinitely (well for 20 mins). During this period I am able to access the same DB on the same network using DbVisualizer on a PC with Windows XP and it shows no issues. If I then quit DbVisualizer it sometimes quits cleanly but sometimes it hangs as you describe and I have to force quit it. This is happening frequently which makes using the app very tiresome at present. It only seemed to exhibit this behaviour recently. Other colleagues using the PC version have not seen these issues either so it seems to be specific to running DbVisualizer 6.5 on MacOSX.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Tim, I assume this happen all the time? Once DbVisualizer respond, how many rows and cols are there in the result? It would be great if you can enable debug of DbVisualizer as explained in: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/doc/faq/faq.jsp#4.14 Post or email the debug output. Best Regards Roger support@minq.se

Ronald, It would be great if you can enable debug of DbVisualizer: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/doc/faq/faq.jsp#4.14 Also post a screenshot of the Connection tab while the disconnect is in progress and the UI is blocked. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Roger, here is the log. What I did was run a query, disconnected the vpn session though which I accessed the database. I quit dbvis After 10 minutes I get a dialog that tells me to re-establish the connection. Again I - try to - quit dbvis. It looks like dbvis is desperately trying to do a commit on a broken connection.

Ronald, Thanks! Is auto commit disabled? Does it work better if auto commit is enabled? Regards Roger

Hi Roger, I have auto commit disabled and I want to keep it that way. I think it is easy: the database cannot be reached any more, the server has rolled back our transaction so we need to forget it also when a network failure is detected. Ronald.

I am having similar problems with DbVisualizer 6.5.1. and 6.5.3 on my mac. I finally gave up and turned auto commit back on.

David, Does it happen while you are active and the DB connection drops or does it happen at disconnect from the database (or exit of DbVisualizer)? Regards Roger