Start a new topic

710.1560 - Object filter matching wrong

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi, The object filter doesn't always match what it should. See attached image for example.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: 710.1560 - Object filter matching wrong
Hi, This relates to the following discussion we had in December: http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=10086 The current recommendation is to use a regex instead of mixing the use of = and in the same filter. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Ah yes - I'd almost forgotten about that one. Though the regex approach is fine for the issue mentioned in that discussion, this does make it difficult to use object filters on-the-fly if you also have objects you want permanently filtered. For example, the development environment I use creates CRUD stored procedures suffixed with _FET, _INS, _DEL and _UPD for every database table we use in it (not by my own choice, I might add). For this reason I have a regex that excludes all procedures ending with those suffixes via the object filter as I've no desire to ever edit them or even know of their existance. However, if I'm working on a specific system, for example an event booking website, I might want to only show all stored procs prefixed with sp_eventbooking_. In doing so I'd prefer not to have to touch the permanent regex I use to exclude the standard CRUD operations so having the ability to add a 2nd filter would be wonderful. Another problem here is that it would be dificult to write into a single regex as I effectively need to produce a regex that says something like "include items that are prefexed by AAA but exclude items that are suffixed by BBB". After much experimentation I can't find a single regex filter that works in DBVis that can do that. The object filter is a wonderful idea and very useful when a project you're working on only refers to a subset of the objects in your database but it does need an overhaul in some version in the future. The quickest solution to program might be to add "Import Object Filter" and "Export Object Filter" to the context menu of the object tree so that per-project object filters can be loaded/saved so you don't have to lose a complex object filter setting in order to use another one temporarily. This could be particularly useful in dev/test/live databases, where several databases might need to share the same set of object filters.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi, This is great input that we will look into when re-designing the object tree filtering. Regards Roger