Start a new topic

Combine multiple result sets

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I am trying to figure out how to combine result sets into a single tab. I have some scripts with multiple statements that are designed to generate output to a single text pane and I want to use them in DB Visualizer. I am currently getting multiple tabs (one for each statement). Is there a way to get them all into one single tab? Here is a snippet of one of the scripts so you can see what I am doing The SQL below currently returns 7 tabs, I would like it all to show on a single result tab ----- select "Who s there"=SPACE(1) go sp_who go select "Number of Locks"=count(*) from master..syslocks go select "Spids and Locks"=SPACE(1) go select spid,locktype=convert(char(12),name), dbname=convert(char(15),db_name(dbid)), "table"=convert(char(15),object_name(id,dbid)), page, class=convert(char(15),class) from master..syslocks l, master..spt_values v where l.type = v.number and v.type = "L" order by spid go select "Sysprocesses "=SPACE(1) go select * from master..sysprocesses go

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Combine multiple result sets
Doug, We do have an open request asking for merging multiple result sets in a single fixed width column text view. Is this what you are looking for? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

That is exactly what I want to do, I assume then that this means the answer is I currently can't do that.

Doug, We're currently finalizing the next 9.0 version. There is a small chance we might be able to put it in that version. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

That would be great

Did this feature make it into version 9?
[Attachment has been removed.]

Doug, The upcoming 9.0 version is currently in beta testing and the next beta version will have the "Merge Result Sets" feature that will combine 2 or more result sets into a single text view. It will be released on friday in this web page: http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ The way it works is that you execute the selects that each produce a result set. On a result set tab you then right-click the tab header and chose "Merge Result Sets". A window will be displayed in which you can order (via drag&drop) how the result sets will appear in the text output along with controls whether the source SQL shall be included. See attached screen shot. Regards Roger

Great, I will check it out on Friday, Are there any plans to set the options as "sticky" so if I reexecute the query I get the same text output, or will I need to export the results each time I run the query?

Doug, The new feature will merge visible result sets to a single view. This is something you will need to do whenever a result set is created. Regards Roger

Doug, This is now fixed in the 90.1852 beta version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ Regards Roger

Thanks a ton. Is there a set timeline for final release of 9?

Doug, 9.0 is planned for release during November. Regards Roger