Start a new topic

Odd tab opening behaviour in 90.1850

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

If I close all tabs except a SQL Commander tab then double-click on a table it does not open that table in a tab. If I close the SQL commander tab and double-click on the table it opens in a tab as expected. I can open the table in a tab properly every time by using Ctrl-L instead of double-clicking but it seems to make sense to me that double-clicking a table in any context should perform exactly the same action as Ctrl-L (Open in Tab). Windows 7 x64, when accessing tables in SQL Server 2008 database.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Odd tab opening behaviour in 90.1850
Vince, Just to inform you that this is now fixed in the latest beta. http://www.dbvis.com/eap/ Alt+click as advertised in the previous post. Alt+shift+click didn't make it however due to key binding conflicts. Use Ctrl+Alt+L instead. Regards Roger

Vince, Bummer... Alt+click should be the same as Open in Tab. I see now the behavior is a mix of Open in Tab and Open in New Tab depending on selected object. Will change in the next beta so that alt+click = Open in Tab and alt+shift+click = Open in New Tab. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks Roger, Alt-click isn't quite what I was looking for as that seems to perform the equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-L (Open in New Tab). Is there a mouse equivalent for Ctrl-L (Open in Tab)? If not, could Ctrl-Alt-click be made to work this way? I find the Ctrl-L behaviour more intuitive than the current double-click behaviour but that might just be me. It'll be interesting to see what other users prefer.

Hi Vince, In 9.0 an object view tab is only automatically opened and loaded if there are no other tabs (i.e. the DbVisualizer logo is displayed). In addition, an existing object view tab is only updated with the currently selected database object if the object view tab is currently active. To always open a tab for the selected object use alt+click and the object will either be opened in a new tab or if a tab for it already exist, it will locate that tab and make it active. The alt+click combination also works if a SQL Commander tab is active. > {quote:title=eviloverlord wrote:}{quote} > If I close all tabs except a SQL Commander tab then double-click on a table it does not open that table in a tab. > > If I close the SQL commander tab and double-click on the table it opens in a tab as expected. > > I can open the table in a tab properly every time by using Ctrl-L instead of double-clicking but it seems to make sense to me that double-clicking a table in any context should perform exactly the same action as Ctrl-L (Open in Tab). This may be the most obvious behavior in some use cases. However, double-clicking an object is bound to expanding the object and reveal any child objects. This is the same behavior as in pre-9.0 versions. I suggest you give alt+click a try to quickly switch contexts. > Windows 7 x64, when accessing tables in SQL Server 2008 database. Regards Roger