Start a new topic

Objects Tree / Procedure Editor Refresh Flicker

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I just started playing with the v9 beta this evening so my comments are still very preliminary. I work primarily on SQL Server (2000, 2008 R2 and 2012). One thing I did notice immediately is that the Objects Tree and procedure editor flicker as they refresh after I save a stored procedure or function. While it is good that they fully refresh, I find the flickering very distracting. I spend a good bit of time editing database code and this might well drive me nuts over time. On a somewhat related noted, it would be very nice if the procedure editor were to restore its cursor and scroll position after saving to the database. I find myself constantly having to scroll back to my last edit position after each save. This is not a new behavior, but one I have been meaning to submit as a suggestion. Thanks, David Edited by: David Taylor on Oct 25, 2012 4:40 AM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Objects Tree / Procedure Editor Refresh Flicker
Hi David, Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Regarding the flicker, I agree it flickers more than it has too currently due to how the editor is updated. We will reduce the flicker in the next Beta. Your idea about restoring the caret and scrollbar positions also makes sense, so we will try to get that done included in the final 9.0 version. Best Regards, Hans

David, Just to inform you that the flickering issue is fixed in the latest beta. http://www.dbvis.com/eap/ Regards Roger

David, The scroll position issue is also fixed in the latest beta. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Excellent. I will give it a try! Regards, David
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

The flicker problem is greatly improved and the editor now preserves its edit position across saves. This is high on my list of favorite improvements. The only issue I see at this point is that the object tree scroll position is not maintained during the refresh. The databases I work on have hundreds of tables, procedures and functions. When I scroll down the object tree and edit a procedure, for example, the tree scroll position changes after I save my changes. The procedure is still selected, but is typically displayed at the bottom of the tree view instead of its original scroll position. Thanks, David

Hi David, We will fix the scrolling in next beta. Regards Roger

David, Scrolling is now fixed in the 90.1852 beta version. Regards Roger

Hi Roger, Much better. Still a little flashing as the tree refreshes, but the scroll position now stays put. Thanks, David

Hi Roger, Just ran into a edge condition concerning the scroll position fix you implemented. If a procedure is selected in the object tree and the procedure is then deleted, the scroll position is not restored correctly. Thanks, David

David, Are you deleting the procedure using the Drop Procedure action in the objects tree? If that is the case, may you still save and run the procedure in the procedure editor. I ask since we have on the todo to remove the entire object view tab when deleting its database objects. Regards Roger

Roger, I typically use the context menu in the object tree to drop objects. After reading you response I did notice that the procedure remains in the tab after being dropped. Ideally the tab should be closed as well since it is a bit confusing to see the procedure that was just dropped still available for editing. Thanks, David

David, Agree. This is something we will look into. Regards Roger