Start a new topic

Database object tree drag & drop oddities

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Dragging/dropping a table from the database tree to the SQL Commander tab only works as expected if you click to select the object first. Imagine a database containing only 2 table named A and B. Open a SQL Commander tab then click the + symbols in the database tree to expand the database connection, database and the Tables object (without clicking or double-clicking the actual objects in the tree). If I then drag/drop table A into the SQL Commander tab, nothing gets pasted and no dialog pops up. I have to click to select table A before I can drag/drop it successfully. Just as oddly, after selecting table A as above, if I try and drag/drop table B without clicking to select it first, the dialog pops up but when I click the OK button it pastes table A instead of table B. When dragging and dropping from the database tree, the Script Table dialog that appears (or object name in the case of databases and columns) should always work on the database tree object the drag/drop action started from instead of the one currently selected. ----- In another drag/drop issue, if Table A has a column called Notes of type varchar and I expand the columns, select the Notes column then drag/drop it, instead of the expected "Notes" being pasted into SQL Commander, it pastes "Notes   (varchar)" with 3 spaces between the name of the column and the column type in brackets. I can think of no situation I'd ever want the column name followed by 3 spaces then the column type in brackets to be pasted into a SQL Commander tab - the old behaviour of pasting just the column name is exactly what I'd expect. I notice that that dragging/dropping the Tables object (after selecting it) pastes the word "Tables" as expected even though in my database tree it is rendered as "Tables   218 of 950 filtered". The "X of Y filtered" bit of the Tables object (and also the Databases object) appears in light grey text whereas the "(column_type)" bit of the column description appears in normal black text. I'm using jTDS to access SQL Server 2008 in case that has a bearing on the way column names are rendered.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Database object tree drag & drop oddities
I just started using this beta version and I agree with your drag and drop comment regarding the column. I just want the column name and not the column type. The old versions worked correctly.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi, The drag and drop of columns will be fixed so that only the object name is copied. Regards Roger

Vince, The next beta will include changes in the how selections in the objects tree will not effect the content of any active object view tab. The drag issue is solved as well. There is also a fix for columns so that only object names are copied. Regards Roger

Hi, This is now fixed in the latest beta: http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks Roger, I can confirm drag/drop now works perfectly. Regards, Vince