Start a new topic

comments about new beta

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

tried current beta for the first time and was not so amused Product: DbVisualizer Pro 90.1866 Build: #1866 (2012/11/21 09:29) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM Java Version: 1.7.0_07 Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Linux OS Arch: i386 OS Version: 3.2.0-4-amd64 connection tree view: * new icons for test/devel/production are not intuitive and not explained in hint * would be great to disable icon for open a connection as folder * when double click a connection the Permission Mode is always on development and connection has Test/Prod icon and previous setting * its now harder to see which connection is active (have >50 connections in multiple folders) * have to double click a tree entry now to see details and this opens a new tab, but double click at another entry show information in same tab, really annoying * closed all connections and collapsed connection tree but connection tab shows last connection info, should reflect tree selection * cant find 'Show in window' function, this was a great (and often used) feature Table Details * moved tab to another position: reset to factory default does not work * executed 'close all tabs' and cant restore view, completly unusable now, no table details, data, ddl aso, restore only when closing main tab for table/connection aso and reopen with double click in tree SQL Editor * pin a result tab only in context menu, previous button on tab was easier * explain for postgresql is nice but i wouldnt use it ** graph view is not clear, especially for larger plans (only color is interesting) ** information about used indexes are missing in tree and graph view ** switch between explain/explain analyze is to complex ** tree view is too large -> a simple explain (analyze) as query is much easier to read * rename tab is nice but not permanent so v9 is not my choice for productive work best regards Thomas

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: comments about new beta
> {quote:title=Thomas wrote:}{quote} > > {quote:title=Roger Bjarevall wrote:}{quote} > > > * would be great to disable icon for open a connection as folder > > > > Can you please clarify? > > > > * its now harder to see which connection is active (have >50 connections in multiple folders) > > > > How is this different from previous versions? Active connections are still displayed with a bold font if that is what you mean. > > each closed connection in tree view is no longer a leaf and can be opened. So (for me) its to easy to open a connection. The icon that assume that i can open the tree node makes it also harder to see which connection is opened. The previous behaviour (double click to open a connection and single click to see selected entry in object view) would be my choice. Ok, so you visually used the expand icon in front of the connection to determine if it was connected/disconnected. An alternative is that you check the font of the connection instead as it is bold for connected connections. > > This is the exact same behavior as in previous versions. Only difference is that 9.0 supports multiple object view tabs and that you now need to double-click to open. If you want to open an object in a new tab, right-click the object and choose Open in New Tab or use the button in the Databases tab toolbar. Keybinding is Ctrl+Alt+L. > ah, and ctrl-alt-l locks my screen ;) You may change that and many other key bindings in Tool Properties->Appearance->Key Bindings > > We will look into offering a "Open in Window" as a choice next to "Open in Tab". > good idea, i opened a table in a new tab and moved this outside as a new window. this window has a tab bar and (i think) useless top border with a close icon. so i have 3 close icons (tab, swing frame, window). i opened another table in a new window and moved this tab into the other window (fine). on window close it asks me for each tab to restore or close. an 'apply to all' action and 'remind for later use' would be cool. We'll check into this. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

> {quote:title=Roger Bjarevall wrote:}{quote} > > * would be great to disable icon for open a connection as folder > > Can you please clarify? > > * its now harder to see which connection is active (have >50 connections in multiple folders) > > How is this different from previous versions? Active connections are still displayed with a bold font if that is what you mean. each closed connection in tree view is no longer a leaf and can be opened. So (for me) its to easy to open a connection. The icon that assume that i can open the tree node makes it also harder to see which connection is opened. The previous behaviour (double click to open a connection and single click to see selected entry in object view) would be my choice. > This is the exact same behavior as in previous versions. Only difference is that 9.0 supports multiple object view tabs and that you now need to double-click to open. If you want to open an object in a new tab, right-click the object and choose Open in New Tab or use the button in the Databases tab toolbar. Keybinding is Ctrl+Alt+L. ah, and ctrl-alt-l locks my screen ;) > We will look into offering a "Open in Window" as a choice next to "Open in Tab". good idea, i opened a table in a new tab and moved this outside as a new window. this window has a tab bar and (i think) useless top border with a close icon. so i have 3 close icons (tab, swing frame, window). i opened another table in a new window and moved this tab into the other window (fine). on window close it asks me for each tab to restore or close. an 'apply to all' action and 'remind for later use' would be cool. thanks for this tool, it's part of my daily work since years Thomas

Thomas, Just to inform you that the following will be fixed: > * when double click a connection the Permission Mode is always on development and connection has Test/Prod icon and previous setting This will be fixed so that Permission mode and borders are correctly migrated from a previous version. > Object view tabs now also remain even if disconnecting. You can disable this in Tool Properties->General->Tabs and the "Preserve Object View tabs at Disconnect". "Preserve Object View tabs at Disconnect" will be disabled by default in 9.0. > Table Details > * moved tab to another position: reset to factory default does not work This will be fixed in 9.0. > * executed 'close all tabs' and cant restore view, completly unusable now, no table details, data, ddl aso, restore only when closing main tab for table/connection aso and reopen with double click in tree This will be fixed in 9.0. > SQL Editor > * pin a result tab only in context menu, previous button on tab was easier We will re-introduce the support in 9.0 allowing click on the tab icon to toggle pin/unpin state of tabs. Based on my response on your first post, please give a minute giving feedback on my other comments/questions not covered in this post. Regards Roger

Vince, We have on the list to add more borders. A workaround is that you use colors for now. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, That reminds me, can we have a few more border colour choices please? Now border colours can represent something other than just live, test and dev it would be nice to have half a dozen colour schemes so we can label all our major database connections differently. Thanks, Vince

Thomas, Thanks for the feedback. Please find my response below. > connection tree view: > * new icons for test/devel/production are not intuitive and not explained in hint These icons represents the border for the database connection and in 9.0 these are not related to the current permission mode. In previous versions a border was set automatically based on the Connection Mode which was one of Dev/Test/Prod. In 9.0 Connection Mode is Permission Mode and you may now set a border freely independent of the setting of Permission Mode. To ease the 9.0 transition it automatically sets borders based on the previous use of Dev/Test/Prod. You can configure borders and colors in Connection Properties->Color and Border and also control in what contexts they shall be shown. > * would be great to disable icon for open a connection as folder Can you please clarify? > * when double click a connection the Permission Mode is always on development and connection has Test/Prod icon and previous setting Can you please explain this a bit more? > * its now harder to see which connection is active (have >50 connections in multiple folders) How is this different from previous versions? Active connections are still displayed with a bold font if that is what you mean. > * have to double click a tree entry now to see details and this opens a new tab, but double click at another entry show information in same tab, really annoying This is the exact same behavior as in previous versions. Only difference is that 9.0 supports multiple object view tabs and that you now need to double-click to open. If you want to open an object in a new tab, right-click the object and choose Open in New Tab or use the button in the Databases tab toolbar. Keybinding is Ctrl+Alt+L. > * closed all connections and collapsed connection tree but connection tab shows last connection info, should reflect tree selection One major change in 9.0 is that it supports multiple object operations: - you may now open several objects at once and show them in separate tabs. - script multiple objects - run actions (such as DROP table) on multiple objects Due to this there is no tight connection between what is selected in the objects tree and a single object view tab as in previous versions. Object view tabs now also remain even if disconnecting. You can disable this in Tool Properties->General->Tabs and the "Preserve Object View tabs at Disconnect". > * cant find 'Show in window' function, this was a great (and often used) feature Show in Window is now supported for any tab but you need to open the object in a tab and then either drag it outside the window boundary or choose "Floating" in the tab right-click menu. We will look into offering a "Open in Window" as a choice next to "Open in Tab". > Table Details > * moved tab to another position: reset to factory default does not work This will be fixed. > * executed 'close all tabs' and cant restore view, completly unusable now, no table details, data, ddl aso, restore only when closing main tab for table/connection aso and reopen with double click in tree This will also be fixed. > SQL Editor > * pin a result tab only in context menu, previous button on tab was easier We are looking into this for the GA version of 9.0. > * explain for postgresql is nice but i wouldnt use it > ** graph view is not clear, especially for larger plans (only color is interesting) > ** information about used indexes are missing in tree and graph view > ** switch between explain/explain analyze is to complex > ** tree view is too large -> a simple explain (analyze) as query is much easier to read Thanks, we will look into your comments on the explain plan support for PostgreSQL. > * rename tab is nice but not permanent Manually renaming a SQL Commander or Object View tab are kept between sessions (if preserving these tab types is enabled in Tool Properties). Thanks for your feedback. We would very much appreciate further details highlighted above. Regards Roger