Start a new topic

91.2037 - reload view does not 'see' db_link

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I have a nice oracle query referencing a table using a database link. From the results I made a little graph. With the graph visible I wanted to reload the view to get fresh data. When hitting the 'Reload current view' button I get: An error occurred while performing the operation: ORA-02019: connection description for remote database not found instead of a fresh set of data. Ronald.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: 91.2037 - reload view does not 'see' db_link
Hi Roger, I really have no idea. Only way to find this is to have Oracle tracing constantly active. Given the fact that there are many sessions coming from dbvis, it would be very nice to have a way to recognize the specific SQLCommander sessions and the ObjectsTree session in the Oracle trace. One way to accomplish this, could be to add some comment in the SQL that is sent to the database, behind an eventual /*+hints*/ block. In the comments should be something like a SQLCommander tab id, or the ObjectTree. An other option would be to 'automagically' set a value for tracefile_identifier (in the Oracle case), making the tracefiles more recognizable. R. Edited by: Ronald Rood on 26-aug-2013 13:40 tracefile_identifier Edited by: Ronald Rood on 26-aug-2013 13:41
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Ronald, Sorry for the delay. Each SQL Commander have its own physical database connection and when running an object action it also acquire its own physical database connection. So if you run an action that you think would affect the SQL Commander session, that may not be the case due to different physical connections. May this be the reason for the first problem? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, i have a hard time reproducing this at random. It does occur. Also, I found earlier that the oracle session's behind dbvis are not always handling the same part of dbvis. For example: in resource manager there is an action 'Create Pending Area'. In a database there can only be 1 pending area active at any time and that is tied to the session that created it. That should be the session that runs the object tree. I already found a few times that I was surprised with the message: No pending area active, when trying to make changes and 'Pending area already active' when trying to create a new pending area. After a while I found that the session that first ran the object tree, was now serving an SQLCommander window. Using that window I could finish my work. This could be a similar issue. The query always runs fine and when I initially run the query, plot the graph and refresh the data, it succeeds. Ronald.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Ronald, Does the query it always work when first executed and then for repeated reloads it always fail? Does it have any impact whether Auto Commit is on or off? DbVisualizer use the same connection when repeated reloads and I find it hard explaining the error being an issue in DbVisualizer. Regards Roger