Start a new topic

Installer Uninstalled Previous Version

I installed the beta version, choosing "use a different directory" but selecting the default /Applications as the installation directory. My previous installation was uninstalled and the beta version installed over it. 

Expected behavior:

New installation in a different directory leaving my existing installation unchanged

Either the behavior should be corrected or else the installer should be clearer that the current installation will be replaced (preferably giving an opportunity to not replace the existing installation)

Product: DbVisualizer Pro 95.2536 [Build #2536] [BETA VERSION]

OS Version: 10.10.5

OS Arch: x86_64

Java Version: 1.7.0_79

Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM

Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation

Java Home: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_79.jdk/Contents/Home/jre

DbVis Home: /Applications/DbVisualizer.app/Contents/java/app

Hi Kevin,

Sorry about the late reply. When you select "use a different directory", it means that you get the page where you can select the directory, otherwise that page is not shown at all. Since you entered the same directory as where your existing version was installed, the installer uninstalled it and installed the Beta in that directory.

To get the production version installed, just download it an install it again, but then be careful to select a different directory for it:

http://www.dbvis.com/download/

Best Regards,

Hans

Thanks! To be clear, it doesn't surprise me that the behavior was as expected, it was simply unclear to me what would happen and perhaps a change to the messaging should be considered.

Hi Kevin,

I wil open a ticket to see if we can make the text clearer.

Thanks,

Hans

Kevin,

DbVisualizer 9.5.2 has just been released with a change of the text in the installer.

Either upgrade using Help->Check for Update in DbVisualizer or download from our web site.

Regards

Roger

Login or Signup to post a comment