Start a new topic

Editor Color Formatting When Escaping Single Quotes

When I escape a single quote ( \' ), the editor still counts it as a quote making the rest of my code red.

example:

--------------------

select  

T1.ProductName,

translate(T1.SourceSite, '.#-,/&\'','') as SourceSite,

T1.DestinationSite,

coalesce(T1.Quantity,0) as Quantity,

T1.ShipmentName,

T1.max_actual_delivery_date as ArrivalTime,

----------------------

I found this post (https://support.dbvis.com/support/discussions/topics/1000076941) from 9 years ago with the final reply saying this issue was fixed 6 years ago, however, I am having this issue today. I have searched the settings over and over looking for a way to specify an escape character or something that might alleviate this. It is more of an annoyance than anything but I'd like to fix it or workaround it if I can.

My Version: DbVisualizer Pro 9.5.4 [Build #2601] 

Hi Mark,

The color-coding is database type dependent, so if you select a Database Connection for MySQL that has Database Type set to Auto Detect (or MySQL), the escaped single quote is recognized as such.

Best Regards,

Hans

Thanks Hans. 

That is good info. I guess my problem is that I am not connecting to MySQL. 

I connect to DB2 LUW, HDFS Hive/Impala, Netezza, Oracle and other databases. Some of these use '\' as their escape character but DBVis' color-coding for those database connections don't recognize this. 

I've searched and searched, is there no way to manually edit the color-coding settings for a specific database type?

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Can you point me to any documentation for Oracle, DB2 etc that describes that a backslash can be used to escape a single quote? All I find when Googling is that these databases (at least Oracle and DB2 LUW)  follow the ANSI-SQL standard of duplicating the single-quote instead of escaping it with a backslash. As far as I know, it is only MySQL that accepts a backslash escape, but I may be wrong...

Best Regards,

Hans

Sorry, you're correct. I was too broad in my statement. The problem is HDFS. DBVis only has a Database Connection for Apache Hive and not for Cloudera Impala. I connect to HDFS through Impala but I have to use the Hive Database Connection in DBVis. Hive uses the same standard as DB2, Oracle and others. However, Impala uses the \ character.

So I guess my real question is this: Is there a way to edit the color-coding settings in a DBVis database connection or possibly create a new, custom one for my Impala connection?

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Okay, then I understand. Today, it is tied directly to the Database Type and there is no way to enable support for backslash escape for other Database Types than MySQL. I will open a ticket for looking into if this could be made into a connection property instead, so it can be enabled or disabled for any Database Type.

Best Regards,

Hans

Hans,

Thank you for help. It is much appreciated.

Thanks

Login or Signup to post a comment