Start a new topic

Changing a setting that requires a restart

When a Tool Properties setting requiring a restart of DbVis (e.g. Look and Feel) is changed while an un-saved Tab is open (e.g., a modified SQL Commander tab), the user is asked to save it:

But during a normal shutdown of DbVis, that question is not asked - the tab is simply saved in its "unsaved" state, and restored when DbVis is restarted.

Answering "yes" to "Do you want to restart DbVis now" should be the equivalent of exiting and restarting DbVis, but because I have to save un-saved tabs, it is not.

Charles,

Sorry for the delay on this. For some strange reason your post has been overlooked.

We'll look into this.

Regards

Roger

While you're investigating this, the same idea applies to other ways the program can exit. In particular, if DbVis gets an application error and gives him the opportunity to end the program, the user shouldn't have to manually save each unsaved tab (since if they had simply Alt+F4-ed out of the program, all those tabs would have been saved automatically).

Hi Charles,

We have just released 10.0.1 which includes a fix for the problem you reported.

Easiest is that you open Help->Check for Update in DbVisualizer to perform the upgrade. 

An alternative is that you download from our web site: 

http://www.dbvis.com/download/

Best Regards,

Hans

I'm running 10.0.1 (build 2759) and I still have the same issue:

(btw, the above message should read "Some property has changed" or "Some properties have changed")

Again, if I exit DbVis (via Alt+F4, File Exit, or by upgrading, etc) I am not asked this question - all tabs are saved in their current "dirty" state and restored when I restart. The same thing should happen any time I exit DbVis for any reason, including changing settings, application errors, etc.

I just realized, you *did* make a change. But you changed it so it *always* asks to save the modified tabs! That's not what I was asking for. I loved the fact that I could exit without going through each open tab and deciding whether to save it or not, and I wanted to be able to do that when I changed a setting that required a restart. Now I have to do that *every time* I exit! That is much worse.

At the very least, could you make it an option to behave like it used to?

It is optional. 

Open Tool Properties and select the General / SQL Commander category. In the right pane de-select Confirm Close of Unsaved Editors.

The fix in 10.0.1 now runs the same exit procedure which it didn't previously.

Regards

Roger

>> It is optional. Open Tool Properties and select the General / SQL Commander category. In the right pane de-select Confirm Close of Unsaved Editors.

That is NOT the same thing at all. Your "solution" allows DbVis to close unsaved tabs without saving them anywhere. What it used to do was save them in its own directory and restore them when DbVis was re-run so I could decide in the future whether I want to save them.

>> The fix in 10.0.1 now runs the same exit procedure which it didn't previously.

Yes, I figured that out. That's why I posted:

>> I just realized, you *did* make a change. But you changed it so it *always* asks to save the modified tabs! That's not what I was asking for. I loved the fact that I could exit without going through each open tab and deciding whether to save it or not, and I wanted to be able to do that when I changed a setting that required a restart. Now I have to do that *every time* I exit! That is much worse.

>> At the very least, could you make it an option to behave like it used to?

Again, the previous behavior which you have eliminated is having DbVis save "dirty" SQL Commander tabs in its own private area, from which they would be restored the next time DbVis was run. That is what I would like to see an "option" for. And that option would apply no matter how DbVis was exited, as my initial request specified.

HI Charles,

>> It is optional. Open Tool Properties and select the General / SQL Commander category. In the right pane de-select Confirm Close of Unsaved Editors.

>That is NOT the same thing at all. Your "solution" allows DbVis to close unsaved tabs without saving them anywhere. What it used to do was save them in its own directory and restore them when DbVis was re-run so I could decide in the future whether I want to save them.

What is your setting for General / Tabs and Preserve SQL Commander tabs between Sessions? It seems it is unchecked?

I just tried having no SQL Commander tabs at startup. I create two SQL Commander tabs, fill them with garbage data, quit DbVisualizer (with no confirmation dialogs being displayed). At next re-start the tabs and data are restored. It seems this not the case for you?

Regards

Roger

Ok, now I understand. The old behavior of saving dirty SQL Cmdr tabs still exists, but it is only accessible if the optional flag "Confirm Close of Unsaved Editors" is un-checked. With that flag un-checked DbVis works as I originally requested: any time the program exits, those tabs are saved and restored. However, that same flag also tells DbVis not to warn me when I manually close a dirty tab, which is not acceptable.

These are two different concepts. A single flag can't work here. I always want to know if I am trying to close a dirty tab that I can't get back. I never want to know if I am temporarily closing a dirty tab that will come back as soon as I re-open DbVis.

The original meaning of that flag should be labelled: "When checked, DbVis will warn you if you attempt to close an SQL Commander tab that has not been saved".

The new flag should be named "Restore unsaved SQL Commander tabs on restart?" with the explanation: "If checked, when exiting, DbVis will temporarily store all unsaved SQL Commander tabs and restore them when it restarts."

Both flags should default to the checked state

Thank you for your understanding.

Charles,

There is already the Preserve SQL Commander tabs between Sessions which when checked will restore any SQL Commander tabs between sessions.

For Confirm Close of Unsaved Editors, we will change so this flag is only considered when user manually closing tabs. 

If Preserve SQL Commander tabs between Sessions is checked and the user exits DbVisualizer, there will be no prompting for save of dirty SQL Commanders independent if Confirm Close of Unsaved Editors is checked or not, since these are then restored in next session.

If Preserve SQL Commander tabs between Sessions is unchecked and the user exits DbVisualizer, the user will always be prompted for save of any dirty SQL Commanders, since these are nor restored in next session.

We are also looking into an option to completely get rid of the save prompt for dirty SQL Commanders.

Regards

Roger

Charles,

Just to let you know DbVisualizer 10.0.2 has just been released with a fix for this issue.

Easiest is that you open Help->Check for Update in DbVisualizer to perform the upgrade.

An alternative is to download from our web site:

Regards

Roger

Hi,

you said "We are also looking into an option to completely get rid of the save prompt for dirty SQL Commanders."

Is there an option to do this, I don't want save my queries.

Regards

Andreas

Login or Signup to post a comment