Start a new topic

New AutoScroll option

This is great! I do have a suggestion, though:

With AutoScroll enabled on the Database Objects window, the "scrolling" is happening even when a right-click or a double-click is executed. 

• A right-click should just open a context menu, not cause some other action. 
  • A double-click is not two single clicks, and shouldn't trigger the same action that a single click does, regardless of what *other* action(s) it triggers. If the new Expand/Collapse action is enabled for double-click, you want a double-click to do only that, not change the contents of a tab.
Keep up the great improvements!

I have Autoscroll TO Object View checked and Double-Click set to Expand/Collapse Child ObjectsWith Autoscroll checked, simply right-clicking an object brings it up in a tab, just as if I'd single-clicked it.

When I double-click an object the first click of the double-click causes the tab to open with that object, and the second click of the double-click causes the children objects to expand.

On another matter, if you do that a couple of times in a row you should see that the 1st and 2nd clicks get confused at some point, after which a single click will trigger the expansion/collapse, and a double-click will trigger it twice (either expand followed immediately by collapse, or vice-versa).

It appears that double-click has been implemented as 2 single-clicks, which may be the root cause of these anomalies. 

Charles,

What are you settings for: 

- Double-click Actions for Database Objects

- Autoscroll 

You find these in Tools->Tool Properties and the General / Database Objects Tree category? It is difficult to comment your findings without knowing your setup.

Regards

Roger

I agree, there's no single best practice. It depends on what the user might be trying to accomplish. If a user wants to displays a navigator object in a tab, they click it. Why would they need the ability to double-click it *too*, just to accomplish the same thing, oh and *also* display its children? And why would they right-click it to accomplish the exact same thing, oh and *also* to give them the additional option of doing something *else* with the same object and a tab (like, open it *again*, either in *another* tab or (ridiculously) the *same* tab that they just re-opened it into)? They wouldn't.

A right-click should do what a right-click does, not do a single-click and *also* what a right-click does. Ditto for double-click.

For the same reason that clicking the "plus" icon to the left of a database object doesn't first open that object in a tab and then expand the children objects, double-clicking an object shouldn't do that either..

Charles,

Having no selection or a single selected object, and then right-click on another it will automatically select the object under the mouse. The reason is to visually show which object will be affected by the action selected in the right-click menu. If Autoscroll TO is also enabled, it will automatically open the object in the object view tab.

The same applies for double-click as it will then also select the object.

We've checked numerous other applications and there is no single best practice how this should work.

Regards

Roger

Login or Signup to post a comment