Start a new topic

tab label - truncate, change font, allow table alias, etc

My client uses incredibly long, descriptive table names, which is great except when I'm looking at open tabs in DbVis. I definitely want the table name in the tab label, but that pretty much guarantees I'll only be able to fit 1 or 2 tabs in a normal window.

One possible solution, which might be useful in other use cases, is to expand the "tab header" possibilities by adding optional modifiers to the brace-enclosed keywords like this:

${objectname,a=value,b=value}

where a and b could be:

max_width - maximum number of characters to display

truncate_at - where to truncate (beginning, middle or end of string) value if larger than max_width

font - desired font, including size

If newlines (\n) were allowed in the tab header, a user could easily create, for example, a 2-line tab header with the table name on the 2nd line in a smaller font 

Finally, you could have "alias=filename" which would tell DbVis to look up the value in a text file containing aliases, and display the alias instead of the value (if it exists in the file). The file would be just:

long_table_name=l_tn

very_long_table_name=vl_tn

If you wanted to be really fancy you could allow the filename to use other keywords' values. For example, I would create two files named 

DB1-ALIASES.TXT and DB2-ALIASES.TXT, and my alias value would be:

alias=${schema}-ALIASES.TXT

1 Comment

Charles,

Thanks for the detailed request. I've opened a ticket and we will have a look.

Regards

Roger

Login or Signup to post a comment