Start a new topic

Table editor standalone?

Is it possible to use DBVisualizer's table data editor in a "standalone" fashion to provide a user with an editable grid just for one table and hide everything else, like connections, properties etc.?

I have a requirement to replace an existing scenario where a user utilised MS Access to create an editable grid for an Informix table via ODBC. Now the user is being migrated to a virtual desktop where ODBC Drivers cannot be installed. I'm using DBVisualizer Pro successfully in this environment, but for this specific user, I'm looking for a way to start DBVisualizer in a fashion similar to the "open in floating tab" feature so just the editable grid for this table is displayed. 

Richard,

When the object view tab (top level) is displayed for a table there are a lot of sub tabs including the Data tab which shows the table content. To only show that tab, you can right-click all other tabs and chose Close Tab, When only the Data tab is visible, right-click the tab title it and chose Save as Default Layout.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards

Roger

Roger, thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a way to start DBVisualizer so that only the window with the saved default layout for that one specific table will open, with the underlying database already connected, and not the complete DBVisualizer with all its bells and whistles?

All that specific user needs is an editable grid for just that one table. I'm afraid that providing her with a full-blown database tool might lead to confusion or temptation to try out features she shouldn't touch.

As an alternative, I'm thinking about a browser-based solution using JQuery DataTables Editor or similar, but that's work I'm trying to avoid.

Richard,

There are some additional things you can do to get closer to the scenario your  describe.

1. Make sure the steps previously explained are in place
  2. Right-click the Data tab and select Floating...
  3. Maximize the new windows with the Data tab
  4. In Tools->Tool Properties select General->Tabs and make sure Preserve Object View tabs at Disconnect is checked
  5. Now re-start DbVisualizer 
  6. The main window is displayed and the window with the Data tab for the table
  7. Click the Load (only needed once at startup of DbVisualizer) button in the floating window to connect and load the data
This is probably the closest you can get with DbVisualizer.

Regards

Roger

Thanks, but I'm rather sceptical about the user's acceptance of this approach. I'll keep it in mind, as a fallback if all else fails.

Login or Signup to post a comment