Start a new topic

Error output issues in the SQL Log for SQL Commander

Hello,

One of my biggest current annoyances when developing large SQL scripts is how the error log is functioning on jTDS driver based connections (eg, Sybase, SQL Server).

Any time there is an error, it prints the ENTIRE SQL script to the log under the SQL/Command column, and it also DOESN'T report the line number on which the error occurred. 

Other connection types do report the line number or character number for the error, and also do not dump the entire SQL script to the log (e.g. PostgreSQL). 

I do not see this behavior in other jTDS based connection clients I have used in the past, so it would be nice if this could be worked out. The lack of the line number for the errors is particularly irksome in large scripts, but the bigger issue really is the dumping of the entire SQL script to the log - it makes it so I have to scroll sometimes quite a lot just to see what the error message was.

I have attached a screenshot of an intentionally garbage query for reference.

Carl,

Each log entry should typically only contain the associated SQL statement that relates to just that log entry, and not all statements in the script. Is this what you are seeing as well?

In the log grid right-click menu there is Auto Resize Row Heights sub menu which is used to control whether the height should be adjusted to fit the content of Success and/or Error entries. The same controls are also available in the rightmost button in the toolbar. 

If you make sure both choices are deselected no rows will be higher than to fit one row of the SQL and error texts. You may double-click cells containing multi-line data to toggle full visibility or to show just the first row.

Error highlighting in the editor to show the position of errors is supported for:

Oracle | MySQL | PostgreSQL | Informix | JavaDB/Derby | Mimer SQL | Sybase ASE

For Sybase ASE it requires at least the jConnect 7.07 (Build 27244) JDBC driver. jTDS doesn't support it position reporting.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards

Roger

Thanks for the clarification about the driver and position reporting.

As for the grid option, I was able to find that via right click, so thanks - however it doesn't appear to be persistent and resets automatically when I close and reopen a window. Is there no way to make this option persistent across sessions/windows currently?

Carl,

Sorry for the delay.

Theses are not saved between sessions. I have opened a ticket that we should look into it.

Regards

Roger

Carl,

Just to inform you that DbVisualizer 10.0.16 has just been released with a fix so that Auto Resize Row Heights settings are saved between sessions.

Please upgrade to the latest official version. Easiest is that you open Help->Check for Update in DbVisualizer to perform the upgrade. An alternative is that you download from our web site: http://www.dbvis.com/download/

Regards

Roger

Thanks so much! 

Login or Signup to post a comment