Start a new topic

DbVisualizer on Mac randomly fails to connect to SQL server

Hi All, 

The DbVisualizer 10.0.7 I installed on my Mac randomly not able to connect to SQL server and ends wth a TCP/IP conenction timeout error. I couldn't find any pattern. I used SQL Server 2012(JDBC) as driver. The DB Port is 1433.

The TCP/IP connection to the host XXXXX, port 1433 has failed. Error: "connect timed out.

Thanks a lot.

Jason Li

Hi Jason,

If this happens only some of the times when you connect, the issue is more likely at the network or database server level than with anything directly related to DbVisualizer. I suggest that you ask the DBA for help.

If you get this when trying to use an already open connection after some time of inactivity, enabling Connection Keep-Alive may help:

Using Connection Keep-Alive

Best Regards,

Hans

Thanks a lot, Hans. This happens intermittently but I couldn't connect at all today entirely, sigh! I spoke to DBA who is more inclined to believe it's more of client side problem, either DbVisualizer running on Mac or driver. He suggested to try ODBC.

Jason

Hi Jason,

The fact that it is intermittent indicates that it is external to DbVisualizer. If it had something to do with the DbVisualizer config, you would never be able to connect. 

If the DBA doesn't know of any issues with the database server, I suspect the network. When this happens, can you reach other network servers? What happens if you click the Ping Server button in DbVisualizer? To rule out DbVisualizer altogether, what happens if you run the ping command in a Terminal?

Best Regards,

Hans

Thanks, Hans. I can ping but not connect.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Ping Server in DbVisualizer or ping in a Terminal?

Please open Tools->Debug Window and enable debugging for DbVisualizer, and click the garbage can button to remove old log output. Then try to connect again and include the debug output in your reply. 

Best Regards,

Hans

Thanks a lot, Hans. It's ping from DbVisualizer. I will run it in debug and send you output tomorrow.

Jason

Login or Signup to post a comment