Start a new topic

Doing deletions in DynamoDB via CDATA DynamoDB JDBC connector?

Using the CDATA JDBC connector DynamoDB I've been able to successfully connect and interact with AWS DynamoDB.

It's actually been an awesome tool for getting data into Dynamo and querying that data.

However, I've had no success in making DynamoDB data deletions.  I'm supplying the appropriate PK and SK columns but DbVis reports no rows were affected where the SELECT version of the same query works successfully.

Has anybody had success doing DynamoDB data deletions with DbVis?

Just a followup answer, now that I know. 

To do deletions in Dynamo using the CData DynamoDB drivers you must specify both the primary key (PK) and the sort key (SK) for the DynamoDB element in the where clause (both are required).

This sounds like a JDBC driver bug to me. I.e if doing something like the following 

1. SELECT FROM X WHERE id =2;
    Resulting in one row returned and shown in the grid
  2. DELETE FROM X WHERE id=2
    Resulting in DbVisualizer reporting  "no rows were affected" 
  3. SELECT FROM X WHERE id =2;
    Resulting no rows returned (I.e the row was deleted in 2)

I'd recommend you to reach out to CDATA for this

Kind Regards,

Ulf

Hi Ulf.

I was doing what you suggested to verify that attempted deletions were occurring in DynamoDB and that's how I discovered the deletions were not occurring. 

I've tried multiple combinations if delimiting the identifiers in the delete statement but nothing has proved successful so far.

I realize this is a very particular combination (CDATA DynamoDB JDBC driver with DbVis).  I'm hoping there's another DbVis enthusiast who has this combination and has figured out how to do data deletions in Dynamo and might be able to provide that one nuance I'm missing, so far.

Thanks

-- Tom

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer. 

Sorry but we have limited experience with DynamoDB.

You might check if the delete was successful by running a corresponding SELECT after the delete to see if the row was deleted.

If it was the JDBC driver should have reported the number of affected rows through the update count when the DELETE was executed.

DbVisualizer reports the update count as received from the JDBC driver. 

Kind Regards

Ulf

Login or Signup to post a comment